Monday, December 8, 2008

Vegetarian Chorizo

Here's another dish I made last week.

I've been experimenting with vegetarian sausage.  I used to love sausage, but it's so expensive,  so I've been searching for good alternatives and finally found one I'm happy with.  

This used TVP,  which i constituted with red wine and cooking sherry.  I fried a bunch of garlic and an onion in olive oil, and mixed in a bunch of ground chili and other spices.  And instead of salt, i used soy sauce, to get it a bit darker,  though most of the color in the chorizo is from the chilies. And finally, I added some red wine vinegar, and squeezed half a lime over it, to bring more flavor to the front.  

I served it with Spanish rice and refried beans,  sliced red leaf lettuce and tortillas.  We ate too fast however, and i forgot to take a picture of the dish plated.  Oh well.  

I've been experimenting more with TVP and vegetarian sausage lately.  In general I'm scared of TVP, it seems weird,  but this turned out so well, that I'll keep trying (not to mention how cheap it is).  I want to next master breakfast sausage, so i can make biscuits and gravy (my southern side might be coming out).  

No comments: