Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Spicy Bean Curd and Spinach


For lunch today, I pan fried some tofu in olive oil, with Sriracha, hoisin sauce, soy sauce and various other tasty spices.  Then I paired that with a fresh baby spinach salad, as shown above.  After plating, but before I walked into the dining room to eat, I looked outside at the several inches of snow, and tons more falling (it's still falling, in fact), so salad just didn't sound. . . warm enough.  

So I whipped up a little peanut sauce, let the spinach steam with that for just a minute, and then cut up the tofu into bite size pieces and tossed them all together.  The end result wasn't nearly as pretty,  but it tasted great, and was much more similar to an authentic dish I would've eaten in China.  For the most part, they just don't do raw vegetables in China.  

No comments: