Monday, December 8, 2008

Sticky Rice Balls

I've been inspired by hearing about fun food creations that others are sharing on the internet, so I've decided to start displaying some of my own.  I might switch this over to a separate blog, at some point, but we'll see if i continue to do it.  

These are some sticky rice balls with a spicy orange dipping sauce I made for a potluck last week.  In the middle they contain julienned carrots and apples, and I sprinkled them with sesame seeds.  The sauce is made from orange juice, a hot chili sesame oil and rice wine vinegar.  Then I spiced it up with some cayenne pepper, cumin, and red chili flakes, and thickened with cornstarch.  I also made an alternate dipping sauce based on soy sauce with other spices.  

They were a big hit, but a bit of work to make.  The first plate full i made didn't turn out too pretty, then i figured out if i kept my hands really wet, the sticky rice wouldn't stick to my hands, and it would stick better to itself.  If i make it again, I might try different veggies for a filling, and I'll toast the sesame seeds.  And maybe cook the rice in a broth of some sort, to give it more flavor.  

No comments: