Friday, January 16, 2009

Broccoli and Bean Curd in Ginger Garlic Sauce

I love calling tofu bean curd,  it makes everyone cringe.  That's what the Chinese word tofu (or doufu, in Chinese pinyin) literally translates into:  "Bean Curd".  Sounds appetizing, eh?

The inspiration for this dish came from northern china, where Russian, Mongolian and Chinese cultures all intermingle a little bit.  

I started by wok-frying some tofu,  i actually just took the bricks, and cut them into three slices, for easy cooking.  I brushed them with soy sauce, sriracha and some salt and spices, on each side, and let them cook in some oil till they got a little crispy.  Then I cut them into the size strip which you see in the picture.  

For the broccoli i just cut it into the little florets and steamed it.  

I also sauteed some onions and red peppers.  The bright red of the peppers really helped make the dish look good, I think.  

For the sauce i melted butter, and some sesame oil, and mixed that with a little veggie broth.  I added minced ginger and minced garlic, and let that sit on the stove for a while.   Then right before time to serve, i got my pan good and hot, and tossed everything in there together.  

Since I'm claiming this is a northern china dish, i should have made steamed buns or something like that to go with it,  but i got lazy, and just made some rice.   Regardless, it was a nice comfort dish.  

No comments: